OIL AND GAS DIVISION
Functions of Oil and Gas Division
a) Environmental Compliance Monitoring of Operational Phase of Upstream and Downstream Oil & Gas Facilities and Activities:
• Ensures implementation of operational phase of EMP of EIA approved projects.
• Review of environmental compliance monitoring reports submitted by operators in the oil and gas industry.
• Periodic environmental compliance monitoring / inspection of oil and gas facilities in line with approved EMP for the operational phase.
• Monitoring of waste management in the oil & gas industry from cradle to grave.
• Monitoring and certification of facilities decommissioning and oil wells closure.
b) Operational Permits Issuance
Issuance of operational permits for facilities and associated operations in the oil and gas industry. Permits issuance includes the following:
• Effluent Discharge Permit.
• Air / Gaseous Emission Permit.
• Underground Produced Water / Gas re – injection permit.
• Operational permits for waste management facilities in oil and gas industry via – Thermo Desorption Units (TDUs), Incinerators, Water Base Mud treatment facilities, Effluent Treatment Plants (ETPs), etc.
c) Certification of Environmental Audit of Oil and Gas Facilities
•The periodic Auditing of Oil and Gas facilities and their evaluation / certification are conducted by the Oil and Gas Division of Environmental Assessment Department.
d) Post Impact Assessment (PIA) and Environmental Evaluation Studies (EES) of oil and gas facilities and operations.
e) Monitoring of Implementation of Gas Flare Down Policy.
• Monitoring of oil and gas industry in the upstream and downstream operations including implementation of Federal Government gas flare down policy, gas gathering processing and utilization projects.
f) Social Issues
• Community affairs and addressing complaints on conflicts between oil companies and host communities on environmental pollution.
g) General Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) in Oil and Gas Industry.
Health: The health aspect of HSE in the oil industry is monitored by the Division. It deals with occupational health hazards that could arise from the operations in the industry. This could be as a result of:
• Gaseous emissions.
• Industry sustained due to safety exposure and non – use of PPE.
• Effluent discharges.
• Heat Flux (insidious)
• Hazardous or corrosive substance, etc.
• Obeying safety signage and instructions at sites.
• Use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
• Ensure that open procedures for operations are followed.
• Journey management – accident / injury prevention mechanism.
h) Supervisory function
•Supervision of NOSDRA Activities.