The Environmental Assessment Department is one of the Technical Departments established in the Federal Ministry of Environment at the inception of the Ministry in 1999 and charged with the following mandate and functions:
Mandate of EA Department
The Environmental Assessment (EA) Department is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that all developmental projects are carried out in compliance with relevant environmental laws and regulations in order to ensure environmental sustainability.
Functions of the Department
1. Implementation of the provisions of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Act of 1992 on development projects.
2. Ensure environmental sustainability of development projects through regulation of activities within the oil and gas, mining, infrastructure, agriculture, manufacturing sectors, etc.
3. Development of guidelines and standards for environmental quality monitoring, eco-labelling, etc; and
4. Accreditation of environmental laboratories.
5. Implementation of Environmental Audit and Environmental Management System (EMS) in Nigeria.